The first sign of ornamental gardening appears on the ordnance survey maps of 1872, when the triangular section of the North West corner was sectioned off for flowers.

Originally a kitchen garden for the cultivation of fruit and vegetables, the walled garden replaced an earlier garden to the South East of the castle. It is large by Irish standards and is unusual in not following the typical rectangular design and having a very large pond at the South Western corner.

This area was extended in 1902 with the arrival of Lady Isabel Talbot, a very keen gardener and again in 1946 as Lord Milo Talbot’s plant collection increased. The garden is divided into different areas and gives the impression of a series of secret gardens. There are 7 glasshouses ranging in size from the Primula house to the Victorian Conservatory.

A ticket for the garden exhibition and Walled Garden will include access to the Walled Garden.

Translate »